As the holidays wind down and a new year approaches, we thought this would be a good time to introduce the 4 phases of our Alchemist Eating program.
Alchemist Eating is a holistic, individualized approach to crafting your optimal diet. It integrates the ancient wisdom of Chinese dietetics with evidence-based primal-paleo eating principles.
To optimize Alchemist Eating outcomes and help you reach your desired destination, we use a systematic, 4-phase course of treatment. So, without further ado, here’s introducing…
The 4 Phases of Alchemist Eating
[***NOTE: As of 2015, these phases were developed into a new set of Alchemist Eating packages. Go here to learn about my current offerings.]
Phase 1: Assessment, Goal-Setting & Exploration
This first phase is all about figuring out where you are and where you want to go, then plotting a clear path to get you there.
It’s the beginning stage of making supported changes to eating and lifestyle patterns while engaging in guided self-experimentation and focused exploration (but without pressure to “go all the way” just yet).
- Initial intake and treatment (90 minute session), including a take-home Alchemist Eating packet with basic guidelines and instructions for next steps
- Follow-up sessions (60 minutes) incorporating mini “lessons” on primal nutrition basics, at the same time addressing your individual challenges and needs and reviewing your Food & Drink Log entries
- Sessions should be once a week or every other week during this phase and may include acupuncture, herbal therapy and/or other supporting modalities.
Phase 2: The Big Push—Elimination Diet Time
This is when we really “go for it,” implementing strict eating guidelines for a full 30 days. It’s not forever, but it’s a key part of getting you where you want to be.
This stage can be tough, and we won’t start it until you’re ready. But a strict elimination diet is the gold-standard test for determining how different foods affect each individual and for truly learning how “clean eating” feels. It’s a difficult but important step along the path to your desired destination.
- Follow-up sessions (60 minutes) incorporating continued guidance on primal nutrition, at the same time addressing your individual challenges and needs and reviewing your Food & Drink Log entries, with a special focus on successful completion of the 30-day elimination diet
- Sessions should be once a week during this phase and may include acupuncture, herbal therapy and/or other supporting modalities.
- This can be an excellent time to treat yourself to Alchemist Eating personalized chef services—whether for a day, a week or the full 30-day period. (Please ask us for details!)
Phase 3: From Diet to Lifestyle—Achieving Sustained Success
By this phase, you’ve reached or are seeing major progress toward your desired destination. It’s time to celebrate and to explore strategies for making success stick.
Ultimately, we’re not about maintaining a diet of restriction. We’re about a realistic, long-term lifestyle that works for you individually. This phase is designed to help you live a life of abundance while maintaining all your progress.
- Follow-up sessions (60 minutes) incorporating more in-depth guidance on primal nutrition, expanding into other primal lifestyle topics (movement, sleep, play, spending time in nature, slowing life down, etc.), while continuing to address your individual challenges and needs, with a special focus on realistic strategies for sustained success
- Sessions will likely be less frequent during this phase (1-2 per month).
- In some cases, this can be an excellent time to add extra sessions devoted exclusively to acupuncture, guided meditation and/or other supporting modalities.
Phase 4: Staying on Track—Reassessment & Renewal
This phase is in place to help you stay on track over the long haul. At this point, you’ve reached your desired destination and are “riding your own bike.” Training wheels are off and you’re cruising!
And yet, the path to success usually sees ups and downs along the way. To help you navigate tough spots and stay the course, we build intensive reassessment into the program—first at the 6-month mark and again at the 1-year mark. This is here for you—and we’ll be here to offer what you need at these check-in points.
It’s also an opportunity for you to offer feedback—what’s worked, what hasn’t, what you need but aren’t getting, and so forth. (Though we of course welcome feedback at any phase in the program!) Together, we’ll also assess any need to revisit phase 1 or phase 2…or any need to stay in phase-3 mode a little longer.
- Intensive session (90 minutes) assessing where you are and what you’ve achieved, perhaps setting new goals and mapping a path to further destinations
So, there you have it. The 4 Phases of Alchemist Eating.
Wondering whether you might like working with us? Go here to find out who we most benefit.
And to get started, sign up for our free newsletter, where we share helpful approaches to food and eating. We’ll send you our Free Guide to Overcoming Sugar Addiction with subscription.
Go here to learn more and sign up.
- What’s your style? - April 27, 2017
- Just one thing - April 18, 2017
- Getting really simple - April 11, 2017
- In sunshine and shade - March 30, 2017
- Not waiting for perfect - March 8, 2017
Please send your questions or comments along! You can call me at 970.631.5804, or just fill out the form here.
I'd love to support you in creating a simple, abundant way of eating and living. To get started with my free newsletter, sign up here.
With subscription, you’ll get my free ebook Keep It Simple: Primal Eating with Ease.