As holistic health practitioners, one of the best parts of our job is celebrating clients’ successes. We know getting where you want to be with health and eating can be hard. It’s very much a process and requires commitment, self-compassion and mindful, honest exploration.
A little inspiration is helpful too. So today, we thought we’d share Steve’s story.
Steve worked with me over the course of 90 days, first completing our 30-day Eating for Health, Eating for You starter package, then continuing on with our 60-day Diet to Lifestyle package (learn more about these here).
When we first started working together, Steve had already experienced short-term success with eating paleo and incorporating movement into his life. Problem is, it didn’t “stick,” and he had slipped back into previous, unhealthy patterns.
He knew a paleo lifestyle felt great and moved him toward health…but he hadn’t learned to integrate it in a way that felt natural, enjoyable and sustainable.
During our first week, Steve expressed overwhelm and sadness. He knew what he wanted—and needed—to do. He just wasn’t sure he could.
Three months later, Steve was in a very different place. I’ll let him tell you about it, in his own words.
As a 43-year-old man, I have ‘typical’ middle-aged male issues—a belly, some joint pain, and a fairly sedentary life. I’m also a smart, successful guy.
I’ve done dietary and exercise research for decades, and I’m fairly well educated on what I need to do—what I’m supposed to eat and how I’m supposed to move my body.
I didn’t need education on what to do—I needed support to integrate it into my life. I have never been able to sustain a way of eating or exercise by force of sheer will for any length of time.
I needed integration support so that eating in a healthy way and moving my body became natural—without having to restrict or force myself.
I had followed Alchemist Eating on Facebook and connected with them on the blog, newsletter and other ways, and I had deep appreciation for the compassionate style they demonstrate.
After a short while, I knew intuitively that I wanted to work with Dana—I needed someone who was like a Willow Tree—gentle when needed, but incredibly strong—someone I could lean into and who had the skill to use just the right support to help me get to my next level without feeling pushed.
In the 90 days I worked with Dana, I achieved some really amazing results:
- Eating 95% clean Paleo/Primal with ease, joy, satisfaction. It doesn’t even take effort for me anymore. I’ve built a life-long new way to eat. I changed my relationship with food entirely. I’ve always been a comfort food person—I emotionally eat—and that has shifted dramatically. Now, I can get my needs for comfort met in ways that honor my body and overall health too.
- I hate exercise. Loathe it. I won’t even use the word. And now, I move my body daily—in ways that feel good and doable. No long workout routines. I’m on a nourishing and supportive trajectory of movement which is strong enough to create some real change in my body, and also doesn’t make we want to throw up. It’s become easy, natural and simply a part of my daily routine—not something I have to do.
- I was a huge night-time snacker. That’s completely vanished.
- I have generally disliked veggies. They had been almost non-existent in my diet except for an occasional salad. Now, I eat a variety of veggies, with joy…like, actual enjoyment. Whoa!!!! That’s crazy to me. I love including colorful veggies with every meal, and it’s getting even easier and more fun for me. Radical shift.
- I was incredibly, deeply addicted to sugar—like methamphetamine-level addicted to sugar. I can enjoy it when I have it on occasion, but I do not crave it anymore. I can honestly say that my sugar addiction is a thing of the past.
- Before I worked with Dana, I was 230 pounds. In 90 days, I’m down 23 pounds. Easy. Sustainable. Long-term weight loss…and that trajectory continues. This is last on the list for a specific reason: I used to be really, really attached to my weight and the number on the scale. Working with Dana also helped me shift that into perspective. I keep tabs on it, but it’s SO much less important to me. I have a much better relationship to my body and whole being due to my work with Dana. That will support me for my lifetime!
For me, this whole process was about integration.
I wanted to take eating healthy and exercise from hard, exhausting and unsustainable to easy, simple and nourishing, requiring little thought or energy to make it happen.
That’s exactly what happened in just 90 days. The shift is radical and dramatic—I feel the effects every day. And I have finally stopped trying to eat well and move my body—now, I just do it. And I honestly love it.
If you’re like me and want to move from trying, willing and forcing yourself to eat differently and move more, into a more integrated, natural, easy way of being with your diet and exercise, please talk with Dana.
Give it a 30-day try at least. It’s the supportive integration that made all the difference for me—and Dana brought it into my life in a clear, supportive and sustainable way like no one else ever has.”
Seeking support integrating healthy eating and movement into your life and wondering whether we can help? Go here to learn about our programs.
And to get started with us, sign up for our free newsletter. We’ll send you our Free Guide to Overcoming Sugar Addiction with subscription.
Go here to learn more and sign up.