Randy’s been away this past while.
And I’ve been finishing things up.
Thing one: the food.
When home alone, I like finishing what we have before buying more.
Most nights this meant smoked salmon, canned salmon or canned tuna with sautéed chard and other veggies.
One night it meant local, crap-free bacon; the last of our raw cheese; a handful of organic lettuce; remnants of mushrooms, zucchini and leeks roasted in coconut oil; and a sprinkle of walnuts.
Dessert may or may not have been the last of the dark chocolate.
Thing two: the school term.
It’s been quite a ride teaching Chinese Medicine this fall. My line-up included seven courses – that was a lot.
As the term came to a close, I finished up instruction and students readied for finals.
Staying late one night preparing samples for their practical, I felt a little like Santa – or one of his elves – the Night before Herbology Christmas.
Thing three: the cleaning.
I like my surroundings simple, clean, tidy.
So with extra time and space this week, I cleaned and decluttered all the things.
House. Car. Desk. Closet.
Five more things I got up to while home alone:
- Going to extra movement classes (yoga and Crossfit) and joining the local pool – indulging in “movement whims” without upsetting our routine as a couple.
- Allowing my cats back in the bedroom at night – they loved sleeping with, er, atop me again.
- Buying myself a nice honey candle – and lighting it each night at dinner.
- Playing classical music, Billie Holiday and moody acoustic on repeat – without taking over our space with my selections.
- Missing my Love terribly – so thankful he’s home.
And you? What’s your “home alone” look like? Bathtub soaks? Private dance parties?
I’d love to hear in the comments.